Insider’s Guide To Employee Wellness
Employee Wellness Programs Can Improve The Health And Well-Being Of Your Employees
If you’re like most employers, you’ve probably heard a lot about employee wellness programs and how they can improve the health and well-being of your employees. But what are these programs exactly? And more importantly, how can you create one that’s right for your workplace?
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know about launching a successful employee wellness program. First, we’ll discuss what these programs are and why they’re important. Then we’ll outline the steps you need to take to set up your own program. Finally, we’ll provide some tips for promoting healthy habits among your employees. Let’s get started!
What is an employee wellness program?
An employee wellness program is a strategic initiative aimed at improving the health and well-being of employees. These programs encompass preventative healthcare and a wide range of activities and services, all designed to promote the health and well-being of employees.
Employee wellness programs may include medical evaluations, treatment of chronic illnesses and injuries, health coaching, stress management, and access to wellness resources.
Employee wellness programs are not only good for businesses, but they also benefit the employees themselves. By making it easier for employees to lead healthier lives, these programs help to create a happier and more productive workforce.
Why is employee wellness important?
Employee wellness programs are a growing trend in the business world and for good reason. Numerous studies have shown that happy, healthy employees are more productive and have lower absenteeism rates.
A study conducted in 2012 compared two groups of employees; one group attended employee wellness programs, and the other did not. They found that employees who participated in the employee wellness program had higher job satisfaction, reported lower stress levels and were absent from work less often.
By reducing absenteeism and stress, research shows wellness programs will increase productivity, which will positively affect your company’s bottom line.
Wellness programs can vary widely in scope and cost, but even small-scale initiatives can make a big difference in the health and well-being of employees. In today’s competitive business environment, investing in a workplace wellness program is a smart move for any company that wants to attract and retain top talent.
What are the benefits of an employee wellness program?
In July 2022, News 24 reported that mental health-related presenteeism costs South Africa a whopping R235 billion, and absenteeism costs R33 billion annually!
The WHO also warned in March of 2022 that there had been a 25% increase in anxiety and depression amongst employees due to the pandemic and other socio-economic factors.
Mental and physical illness amongst your workforce has a catastrophic effect on your company’s bottom line, so implementing a health and wellness program should be a primary concern for your business.
Here’s how employee wellness programs can benefit you as an employer:
- Decreased rates of injury and illness: Wellness programs can help promote healthy lifestyle choices that can reduce the rates of injury and illness.
- Increased productivity: Healthy employees are more productive employees. When employees feel their best, they are more likely to be productive and engaged in their work.
- Reduced absenteeism: Monitoring illness and promoting healthy lifestyle choices can lead to fewer employee sick days.
- Improved employee morale: Engaging in a wellness program can improve employee morale by making them feel valued by their employer. Employees who feel supported in their efforts to lead healthy lives are more likely to be satisfied with their roles.
- Retention of staff: Employees who feel cared for by their employer are less likely to leave their jobs. This can lead to increased retention rates and decreased turnover costs.
- Aids recruitment: A well-run corporate wellness policy can be a valuable recruiting tool. Candidates looking for jobs are often attracted to businesses that care about their employees’ well-being.
- Helps your business reach company objectives: By improving employee productivity, reducing absenteeism rates, and lowering health care costs, wellness programs can help your business save money and reach your goals.
Now that you can see the benefits of an employee wellness program, you might be wondering how to get started or how to improve employee wellness programs that you have already implemented.
How to improve employee wellness programs?
Wellness programs focus on education, screenings, immunisations, and health coaching to encourage individuals to adopt healthier lifestyles and make better choices for their health.
Wellness initiatives for employees also assist in the early detection of disease, which can help employees get the treatment they need sooner and avoid more serious health complications down the road. To ensure your wellness program is effective, it is critical to plan, monitor and collect data to ensure you get the desired outcome.
6 steps to implement an effective employee health and wellness plan:
- Decide what goals you would like to achieve that will mutually benefit you and your staff.
- Create a dedicated team to manage and maintain the goals of the program.
- Collect data before setting up the program so that you can monitor and compare results.
- Contact a corporate health and wellness business and communicate your goals so that they can create a custom plan for your business.
- Tell your employees what the plan will entail and how it will benefit them.
- Adjust the wellness plan according to data collected from your wellness provider. Programs should be optimised on a regular basis.
Other possibilities you may want to explore:
- Offer educational resources on various health topics so employees can learn more about how to live a healthier lifestyle.
- Create wellness incentives for employees to participate in wellness activities.
- Offer on-site health screenings and vaccinations so employees can take advantage of preventive health care services.
- Provide access to a health coach who can provide guidance, support and weekly wellness tips for employees on how to make lifestyle changes.
- Implement wellness policies such as smoking cessation or fitness reimbursement programs.
Don’t have the time or resources to implement company wellness solutions yourself? Read on to see how HealthImpact can help you with all your executive wellness and occupational health and safety needs.
How HealthImpact can help
HealthImpact offers the finest in Executive Wellness with ExecCare. Our state-of-the-art corporate wellness centre combines medical professionals and wellness experts to offer you a unique approach to health and wellness. Our unique multidisciplinary approach means we can test, treat and assist your executives with all their health concerns all under one roof.
If you want to implement company wellness solutions within your organisation, there is no better partner than OccuFit. OccuFit offers primary health care, chronic disease management, mobile occupational health clinics, onsite clinic management and more.
An employee wellness program can be a valuable investment for your company. It can improve employee productivity, reduce healthcare costs, and create a healthier workplace culture.
HealthImpact can help you design and implement an effective employee wellness program that meets the needs of your employees and your business. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you improve the health and well-being of your workforce.